This is a sometimes 'cheesey' blog about British and American politics and anything else which tickles my fancy!

Sunday, 30 March 2008

Purnell in Islington

My ward, Highbury East, in Islington North, held a fundraising dinner last Friday for the London Assembly elections with James Purnell, the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions.

We managed to attract lots of young new faces eager to play a role in the local party as well as raising nearly £200 for the election campaign and that's just in our ward! A real success I think. Events like this are an excellent way of generating interest in the local party and motivating people to get involved. I hope its the beginning of change in Islington North.

James talked about reform of the public services and how we motivate the Labour vote to come out on Election Day. I was really impressed with him. He has the right ideas about reforming the public services and the benefit system and he seems an ordinary, nice bloke.

Future leadership material I think.

2 comments:

Patrick said...

thinking about new leaders already?

Timmymc said...

It was a great event even if I say so having helped organise it myself...James would make a great leader.