This is a sometimes 'cheesey' blog about British and American politics and anything else which tickles my fancy!

Sunday, 8 June 2008

Clinton's Concession Speech.


Hillary Clinton finally found her voice.

In a passionate, moving and eloquent speech yesterday in New York, she conceded defeat to Barack Obama and vowed to do everything she could to get him elected.

At times, the speech was deeply personal and moving. I even had a lump in my throat at one point. She talked about her own personal journey, the supporters who had worked tirelessly to get her elected and thanked the 18 million people who voted for her.

She also urged her supporters to back Obama. She could not have been more explicit. This will satisfy Democrats who are keen for the party to get united and take on the Republicans in November.

At times the speech was also inspirational. "Public service is about helping people solve their problems and live their dreams," she said. And for the first time ever, you actually thought she meant it. She came across as authentic - a quality she lacked spectacularly during the 16-month long primary season.

She even borrowed Obama's campaign slogan: "Yes we can!" A nice touch I thought.

The speech was also a call to arms for women everywhere. "There are now 18 million cracks in that glass ceiling," she shouted. And its true. Her candidacy sends out a powerful message to women everywhere. It also establishes Clinton as a political figure of historic significance. Yesterday, she moved out from under her husbands shadow.

I make no secret of my support for Barack Obama. I think he remains the better candidate. But yesterday I was reminded of why I have always had a soft spot for Hillary. She conceded with elegance and grace - qualities distinctly lacking in modern politics.

Whatever you may say about her, one thing is for certain - she is a class act.

2 comments:

Doug Oliver said...

I agree that it was a great speech, but disagree that she had only just "found her voice".

I think she's come across the more competent candidate in most of the debates and her speeches have been good (though not quite good as Obama who is definitely a great orator, albeit a vacuous one).

However, I agree that she did not do enough to make herself properly heard, until she reinvented herself with the later big primary states like Ohio and Penn and put less focus on her experience and Bill.

Whilst I don't think Clinton was the best candidate (that was probably Biden, by the way!) it's clear that Obama has not explained what he is about. His campaign which has focused on the word "change", references to isolationism in terms of trade and foreign policy (god help us if he really does intend to leave Iraq next year)has really been unsatisfying.

If I was American I would certainly vote and probably campaign for Obama, but from a British perspective at least, I am pretty wary of having him in the W-House.

TP said...

I think Doug is off his trolley. If anyone who listened to Obama's thoughtful, intelligent and moving speech on race, still thinks the Senator is vacuous, they should be locked up in the nearest state pen and the key thrown away. The guy is an alumni of Harvard Law School for chrissakes and was top of his class. From a British perspective, I wish we had a Leader who had half his brains, or half his passion or half his belief. We should be so lucky...